About DNA replication

Currently i’m reading pearson’s biology and there is a paragraph that i don’t understand. I share the text below:

The unwound sections of parental DNA strands are now available to serve as templates for the synthesis of new complementary DNA strands. However, the enzymes that synthesize DNA cannot initiate the synthesis of a polynucleotide; they can only add DNA nucleotides to the end of an already existing chain that is base-paired with the template strand. The initial nucleotide chain that is produced during DNA synthesis is actually a short stretch of RNA, not DNA. This RNA chain is called a primer and is synthesized by the enzyme primase . Primase starts a complementary RNA chain with a single RNA nucleotide and adds RNA nucleotides one at a time, using the parental DNA strand as a template. The completed primer, generally 5–10 nucleotides long, is thus base-paired to the template strand. The new DNA strand will start from the 3′ end of the RNA primer.

So i read this text over and over but i don’t understand it all. Can anybody suggest me a video or explain me how this process happens?

Hi.
You can watch the video “Semidiscontinuous DNA replication” from the channel “Homework Clinic” on YouTube.
You can write me back if there is still a problem. Hope it helps.

1 Like

I totally understand when i see the animation, thank you so much for quick respond.

1 Like