applying as eu with permesso slip

hello, i am a non eu residing in italy, and i needed to know how to register as eu because i have permesso soggiorno slip from posta.

hello! in order to be considered eu, even if you do the exam with the ricevuta, when enrolling you have to show the card.
the rules are pretty simple but not every university follows them. some like the ones in naples pretty much help while the ones in north are quite strict. for example uni parma asks for past year diploma or transcript stating that you got your study permesso with a degree. be sure to mail the universities to see if they will consider you eu.
but in 90 percent of cases, you have to have your permesso to be able to get accepted into uni. so it’s not only enough to do the exam as eu. it also depends on the uni you get booked at

I was wondering if I finished the foundation year in University Of Parma and I have the permesso card would I be and EU student in this case?

Hi Ahmadooo,

Generally, the permesso is expired after the foundation year, and the non-EU students must submit a pre-evaluation application to the university of their first choice, uploading the new documents including those from before. If everything is ok under this pre-evaluation, you get an acceptance letter. In parallel, they must also submit a pre-enrollment application to the universitaly.it and later upload the acceptance letter when it is ready by the university. The university upload also their own version of your acceptance letter to universitaly.it . The pre-enrollment is necessary for the later extension of your permesso in case you get admitted to a university.

By this way, your permesso will be extended by the time you enroll to the university which has admitted you.

My permesso expires in September, I finished the foundation Year. I’ve been here since last September could I be an EU student in this case? And this is the first time I’ve heard of pre-evaluation, in the case I’m an EU student in multiple universities do I need to submit pre-evaluation to multiple universities?

Since your permesso expires in September, you have to contact your first choice university about the exact procedure you must go through, but I suppose, they will most probably tell you the steps I expressed above.

According to the MUR’s law and decrees you can be considered as EU because you have already stayed the minimum required period of one year in order to be qualified as a EU candidate. The question now is, how you can exploit this EU status, and the best solution will be as I mentioned in the paragraph above to contact your first choice university’s foreign/international office. Do it as soon as possible because:

In relation to the IMAT, it is quite important that you have resolved this issue in good time otherwise your name will be missing in the ranking lists when they are published.

I hope you can use these information. Otherwise write again.

1 Like

Thanks for the information, just to make sure I’m comprehending this information well. My next steps should be emailing my first choice university on the pre-evaluation process? Also last question sorry for rambling on this topic for quite some time. In this case do I need to “pre-enroll”? I know pre-enrolling is for the visa process but I figured I wouldn’t need that because I’m already physically here. Thanks for your time.

No worries about asking again.
Yes, you have understood the pre-evaluation part correctly.
Regarding the pre-enrollment step, you will not risc it not to apply and in the end of September you stand with no legal authorization/document to stay on Italian soil, will you?! To be sure about what I am saying, ask your first choice university at the same time when you contact them about the pre-evaluation step. Your permesso need to be extended, this is why the pre-enrollment is important. This is not the university who does that, but they can mediate it.

Hello! If someone does pre enrollment they are directly systemized as non EU. So even if they hold an active permesso, they will be shown in the non eu list. Regarding the active permesso, as you said they need to contact the university of their choice. But in some cases when enrolling, they take your permesso photocopy instead of visa copy (as the visa is now expired). So if the permesso is also expired, they might make it a problem. But some univerisites, especially mostly south but of course with exceptions and changes every year, was less strict regarding these exceptional situations. Most northern universities (from what I heard tho) were pretty strict such as asking for diploma as well.

My permesso expires 14/09 this year as I’m going to be here for a year. By the time I enroll after getting into the university (hopefully) I’ll have the ricevuta with my expired permesso which it’s duration was 1 year. Is that a problem?

From what I have read on Ari’s comments in the group-chat, ricevutas are risky and in most cases are unsuccessful to resolve the enrollment problem.

If I were you, I would still contact my first choice university to find out how I shall resolve/proceed with this issue. The first choice university is the one who decides and presents your status for the upcoming processing of your education case.

As nihantokar has also written above, different unis resolve this issue with ricevuta differently, but still, it is the first choice university who decides on behalf of all universities you apply to.

Contact your first choice university as soon as possible and ask them about the ricevuta.