BMAT 2005 Biology Q

The mark scheme answer is D but I don’t understand how that’s the main reason. Isn’t emphysema caused by lack of oxygen transported (breathlessness)?

Hi!

google tells me D) rupture of alveoli is the main cause of emphysema

for A): lower oxygen transport would yes cause shortness of breath but it’s main symptom would be dizziness, feeling weak and tired just like when you’re anemic (= low red blood cell count, so = low oxygen transport)

i hope this clears some things up for you

3 Likes

Oh okay because I went through a crackBMAT which is a site that explains BMAT answers and it says that Emphysema is a condition in which lungs and air sacs are damaged, causing breathlessness.
Breathlessness is caused by shortage of oxygen.

and D is wrong because it mentions that coughing ruptures the alveoli and coughing is not a main symptom of emphysema, difficulty breathing is.

So I have no idea which is actually right haha

1 Like

sorry coughing is not the main CAUSE of it

Hi!
Emphysema is the condition which occurs when the alveoli becomes damaged, so their surface area is reduced. only option D is mentioning alveoli so, it can be the answer.
Also option A is completely true in general about smoking as Hb having more affinity for monoxide will reduce oxygen carriage but it’s not something related to emphysema or it’s effect that’s why i think we can disregard this option in terms of what question is asking about.
Hope it helps:)

2 Likes

yes this helps thank you! It’s an old paper too so maybe that’s why there’s confusion too :))

1 Like