BMAT 2006 Question 11 physics

How to solve this question?

Hey!

N/cm2

1 Like

Hey!
Wouldn’t the pressure be equal on both sides and forces different where(Fy>Fx) as force being hydraulically transmitted.
thanks in advance.

3 Likes

I was doing something else at the same time, I made a mistake in writing the formula and the continuation of the solution was also wrong.
Thanks for mentioning!

The pressure isn’t equal :slight_smile: as it depends on the area however the force is constant as the force applied at the beginning is the same at the force transmitted to the opposite side. When area increases, pressure decreases, while force is the constant

You mean the force applied is equal on the both sides?
Why ?
Basically I wanted to write what ujjwal said but accidentally I considered the equal F instead of P

The force applied by the beginning by the person would be the same as force can’t come from anywhere else. Only the pressure changes. When you plot a graph you can see the pressure and area are inversely proportional (straight line) which means the gradient a.k.a the force is the constant!

4 Likes

Convincing !
So it seems like I should put my previous solution back:))

2 Likes

Hey,
thanks for pointing it out actually i was considering Pascal’s principle and i perceived it similarly to a car hydraulics where we apply a pressure at one end here it’s the (X) and it’s exerted over a much larger area giving it a multiplication of force which lifts the car.
that’s why i thought the pressure will be equal but forces might differ as much larger force will be applied on the larger area.
once again thanks and point me if i’m wrong

1 Like

This is what I thought, but in this case the pressure actually stays constant, although the surface area increases. The right answer is C according to Cambridge

1 Like