Chemistry calculations

A 5.15L balloon has a pressure of 1.35 atm. If compressed to 3.43L, what will be the resulting pressure?
P1V1 = P2V2
P2 = P1V1 V2
P2 = (1.35 atm)(5.15 L) (3.43 L)
P2 = 2.03 atm
0.785 moles of N2 fill a balloon at 1.5 atm and 301 K. What is the volume of the balloon?
PV = nRT
V = (0.785 mol)(0.0821 L • atm/mol • K) (301 K)
1.5 atm
V = nRT
P
V = 13 L

Hey guys, calculations with decimals are not required in my country’s curriculum, near whole numbers are given in the questions instead. therefore, we don’t need nor use calculators while solving problems. Given these circumstances, I realized I don’t really know how to do these calculations :melting_face: the answer I find ends up to be astronomical and it consumes so much time to solve it.
I was wondering if the questions I insterted require a calculator, or am I expected to be able to do the calculations without one? I saw videos about “significant figures” but I couldn’t be sure if we’re supposed to use them as IMAT students. It’d be greatly appreciated if you could answer me 🫶🏻

it’d be greatly appreciated if you can present your solution, it took me longer to solve it than I would like it to be. getting an answer under 30 seconds would help me a lot :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like