CR question - TSA 2019 Q.29 - Please explain why C is wrong? (Answer in comment in case anyone wants to attempt)

Drivers found to be committing offences such as speeding are now offered the choice between paying the police for a re-education course or taking the traditional penalty of paying a fine and receiving penalty points on their licence. It is no surprise that the number of motorists opting for re-education courses has tripled in five years, but the high cost of such courses has led to
accusations that police forces might use the new system for their own benefit. They could easily set up speed traps, catch a number of motorists slightly over the limit, and generate easy income for themselves. Re-education courses are a good idea in theory, but open to abuse by
cash-starved police forces.

Which one of the following is an underlying assumption of the above argument?
A The cost of running re-education courses is less than the combined contributions of participants.

B Re-education is more effective than punishment in preventing further motoring offences.

C Police forces are more interested in generating income than in preventing motoring offences.

D The number of driving offences committed in the last five years has tripled.

E Fear of losing a driving licence is greater than fear of financial hardship.

The correct answer is A.

I guess because its still in their interest to prevent motoring offences? Im not sure but I think its because the argument talks about generating income as a result of offenses so we cant say they care about one more than the other. (because they’re linked)

Whereas with A - I guess because the text focusses on taking advantage of the course for income - to actually make money out of it, the income has to be higher than the cost?

Someone explains to me that C is wrong because it’s the actual conclusion while this question is asking for underlying assumption of such conclusion. Hence A is correct.

1 Like