Endocytotic pathways- can someone explain this question

Which of the following cell types will have the greatest flux along endocytotic pathways?
A. Kidney cells
B. Liver cells
C. Nerve cells
D. Red blood cells
E. White blood cell

1 Like

Hello! Before I explain the question, what is the answer?

1 Like

In my opinion, @AriHoresh
In a normal healthy person, most endocytosis is done by nerve cells because they are always receiving messages from other cells(Clathrin-mediated endocytosis)

1 Like

E Is the answer. Can you please explain what endocytotic pathways are and where is it found in the syllabus

Endocytotic pathways are the ways in which cells internalize molecules and particles from their surroundings. There are three main types of endocytosis: phagocytosis, pinocytosis, and receptor-mediated endocytosis. The best example is phagocytes, which are white blood cells.

Thankyou ! also what does the question imply by “greatest flux”

1 Like

By greatest flux, they mean which can internalize molecules better (more molecules per time), and phagocytes can engulf whole particles.

1 Like

oh alright yeah that makes sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would you please explain why in normal human(not sick human) the rate of endocytosis nerve cell is lower than white cell?

Hi!

White blood cells would do the most endocytosis, considering that they can engulf very large pathogens compared to a small neurotransmitter.

Note that neurotransmitters are also not always recaptured by endocytosis, they can also be degraded in the synapse.

correct me if i’m wrong:
cells tend to have a good balance between exo and endocytosis, even neurons, so to throw off the flux you would need a big trigger like encountering and engulfing a pathogen

Hope my answer could help

1 Like