Endothelial cell surface

The endothelial cell (EC) surface in an adult human is composed of approximately 1 to
6 × 10^13 cells, weighs approximately 1 kg, and covers a surface area of approximately 1 to
7 m^2 . The cells observed in the endothelium are:

1. simple squamous epithelial cells
  2. simple cuboidal cells
  3. stratified squamous keratinizing cells
  4. pseudostratified cells
    A Only 1
    (B Only 2
    C Only 3
    D Only 4
    E All the above

The correct answer is A. May I know the explanation?

hi! i also did not know about this but I searched for it and here is what I found,
simple cuboidal cells can be found in small excretory ducts in various organs and glands in the body
stratified squamous keratinizing cells are primarily found in the oral mucosa that is subject to frictional stress, such as the gingiva, hard palate, and parts of the tongue
and pseudostratified cells can be found in respiratory airways
I think these are the reasons why they cannot be observed in the endothelium as they are not in contact with it
let me know if you understood it!

3 Likes

This is a great explanation!! But I don’t believe we need to know the details of most of these cells (except simple cuboidal) except we know that squamous epithelial is on endothelium surface and since it’s the only option we can still circle it as the answer :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes you are right! i was confused to see those terms on the question at first

This is from Alpha test, which are a bit more complicated than our exam scope. Thank you for searching though.

1 Like