Evaporation question

1. It is an active process.
  2. The liquid absorbs energy from its surroundings.
  3. It only occurs at a certain temperature.
  4. The mass of the substance changes.
    Which of the following statements apply to the process of evaporation?
    A 1 and 2.
    B 2 only.
    C 2, 3 and 4.
    D 3 and 4.
    E All statements apply.

B is the correct answer but I don’t understand why statement 1 is incorrect.

It is an active process: Incorrect. Evaporation is a passive process where molecules at the surface of a liquid gain enough energy from their surroundings (due to temperature) to transition into the vapor phase.
but I don’t understand why would 4 be wrong? is it because even though the phase changes, if it’s a closed environment the amount wouldn’t change? (only phase)

2 Likes

Hi thanks for your reply. If evaporation is a passive process that gains energy from the surrounding environment, is condensation the opposite, an active process? Or is boiling only an active one?

To answer your question, I think it assumes the particles are in a closed system so throughout all of the physical changes the number of particles has not changed, just their spacing and arrangement.

Ok so you mean active or passive process is a general term used to describe any biological process or cellular activity that requires the input of energy to perform work? Hence it has nothing to do with physical changes?

1 Like

yes you can say that. i suggest you ask chat gpt the terms of active and passive processes simply. it explains pretty well

1 Like