Golgi apparatus

Consider the following cytotypes:

I. Muscle cells
II. Hepatocytes
III. Neurons
IV. Pancreatic acinar cells

Which cells have a developed Golgi apparatus?

A. I and II

B. II and III

C. II and IV

D. I, II and III

E. II, III and IV

Hi!

i would say II and IV since they’re exocrine cells they need a developed ER and golgi

1 Like

Golgi apparatus is associated with secretions, secretory vesicles so we have consider that cytotypes that have secretive functions.
Muscle cells are involved in movements so actively require ATP because of this it have large number of mitochondria.
Hepatocytes secrete different numerous proteins. So Golgi apparatus has to be developed to preform activity.
Neurons are associated with the communication via synapse and most of the synapse are chemical in nature i.e. require secretory vesicles.
Pancreatic acinar cells-functional cells of exocrine pancreases. It secrets digestive enzymes so have a developed Golgi apparatus.

So E seems correct according to me.

Are vesicles exclusive to Golgi apparatus though? I don’t think that could be the answer since Golgi apparatus is used for protein packaging mostly which neurone aren’t responsible for so I think 2 and 4 are the answers

Hi!

i think either of you could be right,
on one hand we need a developed golgi to process neurotransmitters, but on the other, golgi is not as abundant in the pericaryon as the mitochondria (brain needs 20% of body’s energy) and and the ER (prot synthesis + storage of Ca²⁺ for neurotransmitter release + Nissl bodies)

But again the question is asking for which cell has a developed golgi, not which has a developed golgi in relation to the other organelles

@ChuHtet i would love to know which answer is given in the answer key!

2 Likes

The key says E. I wonder why A is exempted

1 Like

A cell that requires lots of communication & a large activity of vesicles will have a developed Gogli Apparatus.

The golgi is part of the “Endo Membrane” System (Nuclear Membrane>Endoplasmic Reticulum>Golgi> Transport).

The Golgi sends vessicles to:

1. Lysosomes
  2. Cell Membrane (Exocytosis)
  3. Cytoplasm Elements for Function.

It also receives incoming information and directs incoming material from outside the cell to either lysosomes to get destroyed or to their appropriate destination so it is in coordination with endocytosis.

That said, the question is fairly vague, given that the MAIN FUNCTIONS of the golgi are transports & communications. I would select Neurons (Communication) Hepatocytes (Secretory Vesicles for Transport) & Pancreatic Cells (Secretory Vesicles for Endocrine functions).

2 Likes

Because muscle cells have no significant protein synthesis involvement other than (mostly) ATP which is produced by the large amounts of mitochondria

Yes that makes sense! They aren’t asking for relative amounts so neutron could be right :)) thanks Juliette!!

1 Like

Thank you for this too! Must remember that Golgi is needed for both communication through vesicles

1 Like