Homeostasis- can someone explain the below question

Can someone explain the answer for the question
Which statements about homeostasis are correct?

1. Homeostasis ensures the inputs within your body exceed the outputs to maintain a
    constant internal environment.
  2. Homeostasis is about ensuring the inputs within your body are less than the outputs
    to maintain a constant internal environment.
  3. Homeostasis is about balancing the inputs within your body with the outputs to
    ensure your body fluctuates with the needs of the external environment.
  4. Homeostasis is about balancing the inputs within your body with the outputs to
    maintain a constant internal environment.
    A. 1 only
    B. 2 only
    C. 2 and 3 only
    D. 1 and 3 only
    E. 2 and 4 only
    Answer is D

Homeostasis is a regulatory mechanism, where the input is approximately constant with respect to the output, which is mentioned in the 3rd point but I’m not sure about the first one @AriHoresh would you mind explaining the first point please?

yeah exactly, so why is the 4th point incorrect?

I think there is some mistake in the key. Only the fourth point is valid fir this question. In the third point it is mentioned that haemostasus causes the internal environment to fluctuate which is wrong because haemostasis keeps our internal environment constant and first point is entirely wrong

1 Like

4th point seems correct, is this the question from BMAT 800 question bank?

You are absolutely right, maybe the answer key is wrong.

exactly! I was wandering too. Thankyou for the confirmation… The answer key must be wrong then I suppose? @AriHoresh

If it’s from BMAT 800 I won’t be surprised if the answer key was wrong… :popcorn:

yeah maybe. I’ll recheck and see

Homeostasis doesn’t mean to keep a fixed internal environment as changes maintained within a specific range are necessary for normal body functions.
This is what my high school book says.