IMAT 2017 Q 33 [cell biology]

Four students, 1, 2, 3 and 4, recorded different structures that they thought were found in a
healthy animal kidney cell and a typical bacterial cell.
Which students gave totally correct answers?
students 1 and 4 only
students 2 and 4 only
students 2 and 3 only
students 1 and 2 only
students 1, 2, 3 and 4

Please can anyone help me out with this question??I need some clarifications.For me I think it’s option A

70s ribosomes are a type of ribosomes that are only found in prokaryotic cells. 80s ribosomes are found in eukaryotic cells. Eukaryotic cells also contain 55s ribosomes found only in their mitochondria. Cell walls are organelles found only in plant cells.

To break down the chart:

• student 1’ findings seem to be all correct.
  • student 2 recorded a cell wall in an animal cell. That renders this option incorrect, and even if you look at the bacterial cell, he recorded mitochondria, a membrane bound organelle , in a prokaryotic cell, that is most definitely incorrect as there are no membrane bound organelles in prokaryotes.
  • student 3 recorded 70s ribosomes in a eukaryotic cell which is incorrect. He also recorded “DNA in nucleus”. bacterial cells do not have nuclei.
  • student 4’ findings also seem to be all correct, as circular DNA can be found in eukaryotes. And plasmids are most certainly present in bacterial cells.

(A) seems to be the correct answer choice.

1 Like